Easy A | Teen Ink

Easy A

By Krystyna Demkiw BRONZE, New City, New York
Krystyna Demkiw BRONZE, New City, New York

Unlike the typical high school movie which contains no plot, and to some extent is unrealistic, the movie Easy “A”, breaks that mold and delivers a movie that is both hilarious and practical. Easy “A” tells the story of a high school girl, Olive Penderghast, who flies under the radar and is, for the most part, unnoticed by the rest of the school. However, this changes when Olive tells a tiny lie about loosing her virginity, and her whole life and reputation is dramatically altered. Suddenly, everyone in school, from the jocks to the school’s Christian group, takes an interest in Olive. While some try to reform her, others try to get with her. Olive builds up her new reputation by pretending to sleep with other guys, believing it to be beneficial to guys as well as herself. However, the results are completely opposite of what she expected. Although Olive is now noticed by everyone in the school, which is what she ultimately wanted, she is noticed for the wrong reasons. No one in the school genuinely likes her. Her best friend ditched her, and guys only ask her out to build up their own reputation. Ultimately, Olive is an outsider, which is something everyone has felt in their lives during one point or another.

The book which the movie is based off of, The Scarlet Letter, dealt with the same issue, being an outsider. Both explore the lives of outsiders, and how they are rejected by society. Olive, from the movie, and Hester, from the novel, are shunned by society and all those living within it. These women are judged based on what others spread about them which is not necessarily the truth. Although the book and movie are related, it is not necessary to read the book in order to understand the concept of the movie. The movie itself does a fantastic job of telling the story from an outsider’s point of view, plus it is ridiculously hilarious. But, if you are one of those people who wishes to expand upon their vocabulary by depicting apart the fluffy Victorian language of Nathaniel Hawthorne, then please read the book. However, if you are like me, and live in the 21st century, please see the movie; it is perfectly executed and I guarantee you will be laughing so hard, your insides will hurt.

Of course, the comedy in this movie has to be credited to all the actors who played a part in the movie. The casting of this movie was genius. Everyone did a phenomenal job. Above all, Emma Stone, who played the main character Olive Penderghast, was hilarious beyond description. Everything she did from her witty comebacks to her emotionless expressions were perfect for this clever dialogue. Also, Stone made you feel that Olive Penderghast was a real person. In other words, you connected to Olive as if she was a friend, going through all the emotions that you would normally go through. You felt bad for her when everyone used and ditched her. Then you felt extremely happy for her, and a little bit jealous, when she got the gorgeous guy at the end. Overall, Stone’s acting brought the character Olive to life, which connects you to the movie on a whole new level. This girl is incredibly talented, and hopefully, for her sake and ours, she will be apart of many more movies!