The Blind Side | Teen Ink

The Blind Side

“The Blind Side,” staring Sandra Bullock, is heart felt and inspiring. This is Bullock’s best film yet for she won Best Performance by a Leading Actress Oscar Award for this movie. She touched many people’s lives from this movie by being Leigh Anne Tuohy, the kind and welcoming mother in “The Blind Side.”

The Tuohys are a wealthy, well-known family in Tennessee. They have two children by the names of Collins and S.J. Both who attend a very high class, private school. The Tuohys life gets turned upside down when Michael Oher, an African-American boy who is new to this private school enters their lives. In the beginning of the movie, Michael is shown as a “dumby” who just doesn’t know anything. He is a huge boy who should be playing football and that is exactly what the Tuohys get him to pursue. He tries out for their football team and immediately doesn’t know how to play. Sure, he is a huge guy that could wreck anyone at any given time, but he doesn’t know a thing about strategy. In one scene, Leigh Anne talks to him about how he needs to protect his team just how he would protect his family. From that point on in the movie, I had chills down my back for the remaining hour.

Michael loved being with the Tuohys. They loved him so much too, that in the middle of the movie they asked him if he wanted to be part of their family. His obvious response was, “Well, I thought I was already in it?” Michael isn’t very loud but he has a definite sense of humor that is shown numerous times throughout the movie. During the rest of the movie, Michael’s football career takes off and many colleges around the Tennessee area are asking him to come to their school the next fall. Mr. and Mrs. Tuohy both attended Ole Miss and played sports there. Since the Tuohy’s are big fans of the school, they desperately wanted Michael to attend. For a while, Michael was contemplating whether to go to the University of Tennessee or Ole Miss, but accepted the football scholarship to Ole Miss.

This movie is by far, one of the best movies I have ever seen. It gives you that tingly feeling in the movie theater and makes your stomach go in knots because of the anticipation as to what happens next. This movie is definitely one where you can laugh and cry at the same time while watching. The main reason why I loved this movie was because I knew that it was based on true events. To know that there are people in the world that will do these sorts of things for other people just makes you feel good inside and makes you want to get out into the world and help as many people as you can. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone. I mean, come on, it did win over 5 awards, it has to be good!

on Jun. 7 2010 at 1:38 am

I'm entirely not being criticising the reviewer, however, the blind side was completely pretentious. I'll have to burn my fingers after i type this: Even Sandra was bad. 

Firstly, the genre of sports drama is in itself a pompous way of enticing both female and male audiences. I would have cried in it, but the guilt of watching this mess dried up the tears. 

This film tried to do the collage thing: taking elements from already made films and trying to make something new and beautiful. Following with the metaphor, the blind side was essentially a collage made a six year old autistic child. Its cutesy and people will flock to see it, but everyone knows it looks like a bulimic pile of vomit.