Youth in Revolt | Teen Ink

Youth in Revolt MAG

By Francesca Rillera BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Francesca Rillera BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

Behold, Michael Cera at his best! The movie's worthy ratings should definitely be credited to Cera's leading performance. “Youth in Revolt,” directed by Miguel Arteta, is infused with teenage angst and raging hormones, and hits these topics with wit and comedy – because no one wants a serious sex talk that seems as though it came straight from your mother's mouth.

The story starts off when Nick Twisp's mother, a woman with raging hormones herself, moves Nick to a Christian trailer park with her unbelievable boyfriend, Jerry, played by Zach Galifianakis – you might remember him from “The Hangover.” This is where 16-year-old Nick (Cera) meets an angelic girl named Sheeni Saunders (Portia Doubleday). Sheeni is very intelligent, and has an obsession with anything French, plus a mysterious rebellious streak.

After a couple of dates, Nick believes he is in love, but Sheeni drops a bomb on Nick, telling him about her god-like boyfriend, Trent. The two ­conjure up a plan to get him kicked out of his mother's home and moved to his dad's in Ukiah, the same town where Sheeni lives. But in order for Nick to fulfill this plan, he has to create another persona, named Francois, to cause havoc.

The cast is just one of the reasons to see this movie. Many directors have trouble finding actors who mold into their characters, but everyone here seems born to play their role. Cera sheds his “Juno” ­exterior to become Nick. The director did a remarkable job on sharp-timing and did not go overboard with voiceovers. Overall, I was pleased with the movie and did not regret trading in my hard-earned money for a ticket.