The Great Debaters | Teen Ink

The Great Debaters MAG

By Anonymous

“The Great Debaters” is an inspirational drama based on the true story of a small African-American college debate team. This movie is filled with the harsh reality of racism in the South and the meaning of friendship. Can one group of young college students stop racism single-handed?

The team consists of four intelligent students coached by Professor Melvin Tolson (Denzel Washington). They start by successfully debating local colleges. As Tolson realizes his team has immense skill, they begin to venture into the world of debating white colleges. Along with this extremely controversial act, Tolson’s political views begin to hinder the team and one member decides he must quit. Throughout the movie, this team is faced with obstacles that include faith in each other and in society. The team begins to work together in amazing ways to accomplish the enormous task of defeating the best college debate team in the country.

“The Great Debaters” is an outstanding film and I would recommend it to anyone hands-down. It will not only entertain but teach the viewer about racism. This movie is aimed at an audience who can handle scenes that include racist attacks. “The Great Debaters” is a powerful film with a meaningful story. Anyone can relate to this movie. It left a warm feeling in my heart.