The Great Debaters This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“The Great Debaters” is an inspirational drama based on the true story of a small African-American college debate team. This movie is filled with the harsh reality of racism in the South and the meaning of friendship. Can one group of young college students stop racism single-handed?

The team consists of four intelligent students coached by Professor Melvin Tolson (Denzel Washington). They start by successfully debating local colleges. As Tolson realizes his team has immense skill, they begin to venture into the world of debating white colleges. Along with this extremely controversial act, Tolson’s political views begin to hinder the team and one member decides he must quit. Throughout the movie, this team is faced with obstacles that include faith in each other and in society. The team begins to work together in amazing ways to accomplish the enormous task of defeating the best college debate team in the country.

“The Great Debaters” is an outstanding film and I would recommend it to anyone hands-down. It will not only entertain but teach the viewer about racism. This movie is aimed at an audience who can handle scenes that include racist attacks. “The Great Debaters” is a powerful film with a meaningful story. Anyone can relate to this movie. It left a warm feeling in my heart.

Klammyt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:10 am
Oh my God, I LOVE this movie! We had to see it in my English class as part of our Speech & Debate unit, and I thought it was FANTASTIC!

Mistyofthemeadow said...
I think this movie can teach us all something no matter our age

dannii-bae95 said...
me too!!! what website is this

AmnyR said...
i LOVE this movie, one of my favorites! well-written review too

mooky2012 said...
im new to this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wondergrl95 said...
African American inspirational movies like this never get any awards or praise of any kind. Movies have to be about African Americans shooting eachother, or singing and dancing. Just look at the records its there!