Sweeney Todd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Set in the late 1880s in London, barber Benjamin Barker was living happily with his beautiful wife, Lucy, and his newborn daughter, Johanna. But another, Judge Turpin, loved Lucy and had his associate, Beadle Bamford, send Barker to prison on false charges. Many years later, Barker “dies” and Sweeney Todd returns “and he will have his revenge.”

Re-establishing his barber shop above Mrs. Lovett’s Meat Pie Shop, he waits with his “friends,” a set of shiny silver shaving razors, for the day Judge Turpin will need a shave. But in the meanwhile, Mrs. Lovett could use some “meat” for her pies, and when you live in a “hole in the world like a great black pit and it’s filled with people who are filled with s--- and all the vermin inhabit it,” there are some people who need a shave and will not be missed.

When I first saw this movie, I realized it was going to be a dark and sinister one. Director Tim Burton manages to take this beloved Broadway show and bring it to the big screen in a new way that will make you laugh, cry, scream, and cringe all in the same two hours.

Johnny Depp fills the role of Todd perfectly – a quiet chap who dreams of nothing but righting his wrongs with a simple shaving razor. And who knew that Depp had such a singing voice? He has a great range that you must hear to believe. Helena Bonham Carter does an excellent job as Mrs. Lovett, a down-in-the-dumps baker who has trouble making meat pies, but who is more than glad to assist Mr. T in whatever he needs, with a voice to go along with it.

Alan Rickman makes a fine Judge Turpin. He’s not sinister by any means, but rather jealous and selfish. I believe this is the first movie in six years where I did not see him playing Professor Snape (in one of the Harry Potter films). It’s quite a welcome change. If you’re looking for sinister or “evil,” you’ll find that in Beadle Bamford (Timothy Spall), an associate of Turpin who does all of his dirty work.

The songs are quite nice. From the opening to the closing you will hum what you can remember for the next week. All in all, this movie is on my top-five list of musicals for this year and also on my list for being the most graphic and bloody. Yes, this has got to be the bloodiest Tim Burton film, or any musical.

LadyRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I have not seen the movie yet, but I have a friend who loves it and has shown me its soundtrack. maybe I'll have to show her this article...

monster400 said...
i really like what you wrote and i loved the movie too

Gagamonsta said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:53 am:
Sweeney Todd is my most faveorite movie ever! I love how Tim Burton almost always cast Johnny Depp, and Helena! The thing i love the most is the fact that he just cuts off their heads and they make the meat pies. Honestly after watching this im afraid of finding a toe in a meat pie. (:

CookeysAndCream said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:04 am:
My school did Sweeney Todd, and it was an amazing experience. However, we tried to differentiate it from this film as much as possible. However, what I've seen of the movie was good, although I couldn't make it all the way through because I'm super squeamish.

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:27 am:
Haha, in the 80s Johnny Depp was in a rock band, so yeah, he's got a good voice! :)

WillowFalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm:
Johnny Depp/Tim Burton fan? Yes! You are amazing, whoever you are :)

Madi L. said...
i love this movie its creepy and a sad love story

JaysynB190 said...
Zman...I noted that he wasn't sinister...I just interpretted him to be jealous which to an extent he was

zman1 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I disagree that Judge Turpin is not sinister by any means. For starters, he psychologically abuses Johanna by locking her away to prevent from falling in love with Anthony, he rapes Sweeney Todd's wife, and throws Sweeney Todd in jail for no reason other than to cause his mind to snap.

remym This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely loved this movie. And you reviewed it nicely.

JaysynB190 said...
Jun. 26, 2009 at 9:28 pm:
Thank you guys for your comments....I'd actually to be a film critic one day and this is my first stepping stone

readaholic!<3 said...
May 10, 2009 at 5:43 am:
Also i forgot someone also commented that no one would be able to get away with these murders, but look at the time period. Also look at jack the ripper he was a serial killer and no one ever knew who he was. There aren't laws and ways of finding things like we can today. SO please don't leave a nasty comment about a movie when your thought isn;t fully thought out.

readaholic!<3 said...
May 10, 2009 at 5:38 am:
This movie was great and so was the review. Also other people commented saying that the blood was fake, but the thing is the director was probably going for more of a theatrical look not a slasher horror movie look.

Schatzi said...
Apr. 27, 2009 at 12:25 am:
This is one of my favorite movies. Glad you liked it. (Now this is for the people who commented above). I don't what you have against Sweeney Todd. By the way, the whole slitting throats affair only happened like over a couple of days. Could you have done any better with that show?

kumiko-chan said...
i agree with jaysyn. but i love this movie. lol i watched it with my mom one and she said i can't see it anymore 'cause it's "sadistic".

Rorylubinsky said...
I absolutely adored this movie. Depp was phenomenal and Bonham-Carter was fabulous. They were a perfect pair for it. Mrs. Lovett is the coolest character ever; my dream role. And good on you Jaysyn, for your grammatical corrections! I do the same thing.

Mad13658 said...
I thought this movie was ok, but the blood was so fake. No one in the real world bleeds like that, and the blood was so thick it looked like paint. Over all I thought the actors did a great job, but the effects were all wrong

MrsLovett said...
Feb. 12, 2009 at 6:31 pm:
I thought this movie was very good. Considering I have never seen the original version. Johnny, Helena, and Tim did a very good job with it. Course I'm also a sucker for anything Johnny or Tim does. I just think its better than what the people above have said it was.

singer4ever said...
I have never seen this movie, but it looks kind of scary

Jaysyn said...
Icky-sorry but then if you like the old one so much, WRITE THE REVIEW!

Savannah-Spell ridiculous right first then I'll take you seriously...Remember it's only a movie...IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FAKE!!!