Unpregnant | Teen Ink

Unpregnant

November 21, 2023
By kk79687 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
kk79687 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 The movie Unpregnant is a part of the drama and comedy genre—which is a genre most people enjoy. This movie stars Haley Lu Richardson and Barbie Ferreira who play Veronica Clark and Bailey Butler. 

These two actors have also starred in more well-known movies: Five Feet Apart and The Edge of Seventeen. Barbie is most well known for her performance in the popular television series Euphoria: a coming-of-age drama, which I enjoy. These types of shows pull me in because they are all teenagers like me and I like watching the character's relationships with each other grow and watching the drama between them unfold. 

The movie, Unpregnant starts with an opening scene of Veronica taking a pregnancy test in the school bathroom. She drops the test and her former best friend Bailey Butler finds the test. This opening scene introduces not only the relationship that these two characters have now but it also shows the relationship they used to have. 

This opening scene is what pulled me into the movie, it shows everything that I look for in a movie. There is drama with the pregnancy test and it kept me on the edge of my seat because, in the beginning, we didn´t know who found it. Also, there was no useless information or talking between the characters that dragged the beginning on. 

The plot continues with Bailey and Veronica going on a life-changing road trip from Missouri to New Mexico, the closest state that allows for abortion without parental consent. Along the way, they have some fights and part ways, but they also rekindle their relationship and always return to each other.  

Also, the way they showed how the two girls who used to be best friends grew apart and are now so different. Things like that happen in real life and I feel as though many people can relate to growing apart from someone you used to be close with and turning out completely different. The trip Veronica and Bailey take has many different surprises and challenges waiting for them and when they finally overcome these everything all comes back around. 

Finally, another reason why I enjoyed this movie was because it brought up a real-life struggle, that many girls have to go through. The theme of pregnancy and abortion. Veronica did not want to get pregnant, it was her boyfriend's fault for withholding information. When her boyfriend finally confessed to knowing about her being pregnant she was very distraught. Veronica's parents are the type that would not allow her to get an abortion. This put a lot of stress on her because she did not want the baby. Many girls go through this and accidentally get pregnant and struggle to get an abortion because of their parents or even laws preventing them from having one. 

I would recommend the movie Unpregnant because it constantly kept me on the edge of my seat and I always wanted to know what was next, It talks about real-life situations that can happen, it made me laugh multiple times, and it shows the relationship between two people who used to be friends blossom once more. Their relationship is a little rocky in the beginning but as the movie progresses they become closer again and it´s just a very nice movie.


The author's comments:

Something about me is that I really enjoy watching movies. Even the older movies, I love them all. I like to see where the plot goes for the most part and like to even try and predict what the ending will be. I like a wide variety of movies from romance all the way to horror.