Emma | Teen Ink

Emma

May 1, 2019
By caylauphaus23 BRONZE, Jerome, Michigan
caylauphaus23 BRONZE, Jerome, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The movie I decided to review was the movie, Emma. Emma was made in 1996. Emma reveals many themes directed toward teenagers and ones who are interested in romance. Emma was directed by Douglas McGrath, a well-known filmmaker. Douglas has had many Oscar-nominated movies. This movie begins with a young girl Emma, who was raised by a rich royal family, Emma Woodhouse is beautiful, bright and a bit of a know-it-all, living on a beautiful country estate with her father, she prides herself on her ability to repair broken hearts and to help others find romantic bliss. Although she may be wrong many times, she tries to “help” her friend who is trying to find her life long love. Emma gives a lot of advice to her friend but is also selfish about the advice she gives. Emma begins trying to fix poor Harriet, who is actually in love with a kindly young farmer, up with the dubious Reverend Elton, who secretly loves the unaware Emma. Emma doesn’t know how to react when she finds out he loves her. Throughout this film, there are many tragedies that happen but also many cute love stories that go along with this film.

       I didn't enjoy this film as much as others have, the reviews sounded very good but it wasn’t the best romance movie I have seen. This movie didn’t have much action in it. This movie doesn’t grab the attention of the audience as well as many other romance films have. I would recommend this movie to people who enjoy romance movies and not much action. Gwyneth Paltrow (Emma)  spends the movie with pursed lips and an expression like she's smelled something foul. Emma is supposed to be condescending, but she's also supposed to be silly, fun, and devoted to her family. Emma comes off rude and selfish to me.

      My favorite part of this movie was definitely when she was giving advice to her friends about her soon to be husband. The advice even made me look at my own relationship. Overall, I gave ranked this movie a ⅕ only because I was bored throughout the movie and the acting was not the best. It all just seemed very staged. Because this movie is rated PG, it could be directed toward younger children which may give a bad look on relationships putting a bad image in their head.

      In conclusion, I wouldn’t recommend this movie to anyone in my day and age because this movie was made “back in the day” and isn’t very interesting. Much of the cast seems to be on autopilot, and they are almost all very clearly too old (and in one case too young) for their declared age, making it less realistic for the audience to watch. This movie has a good plot and meaning to it, but definitely needs more action or something to make it more interesting.