To The Bone | Teen Ink

To The Bone

By kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other
kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other

To The Bone brings us to the world of Ellen, a twenty year old girl suffering from an eating disorder called anorexia. After several unproductive recovery programs she went through, her family decides to send her to a group home that utilizes a non-traditional form of therapy. Ellen, along with her fellow anorexic youths, finds herself rediscovering life.

Written and directed by Marti Noxon, the movie’s plot is ingeniously deep and intriguing. There are tons of conflicts going around the story which makes it more interesting. The main protagonist has a conflict to herself, to her family and in the therapy house, especially to Luke, the only anorexic boy she lives with. It is amusing to see that these conflicts don’t complicate the movie, rather, they make different facets of the story and provides a clearer understanding on what it is to have anorexia. The injection of numerous characters also strengthens the screenplay. Each one has an essential role adding appeal to the story. However, it would have been lovelier if Ellen’s father appears in the screen, on a note that they have a dysfunctional father-and-daughter relationship.

Moreover, the set of casts is even more riveting. Lily Collins delivers a believable and polished portrayal of Elle. Characterized in a failing sick body, she effectively interprets an unruly and carefree girl who overlooks her health condition. Keanu Reeves (Dr. Beckham), Alex Sharp (Luke), and Liana Liberato (Ellen’s half-sister) also gives that needed kick to keep the movie moving.

By and large, To The Bone is an enticing and heavy film that captures the audience in a fresh and original approach. It is a driving drama that showcases both ugliness and beauty behind struggle. With astonishingly bright screenplay, cinematography and actors, the movie strikes lightning.