The Ones by Daniel Sweren-Becker | Teen Ink

The Ones by Daniel Sweren-Becker

July 24, 2016
By MephistopheleanGrace SILVER, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
MephistopheleanGrace SILVER, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
6 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's not much of a possibility, you don't know me. ~Me


I never knew that being so different and unique could have such deadly consequences. Being uniform to everyone else, might just preserve your life in Daniel Sweren-Becker's book The Ones. 

 

In The Ones, the protagonist, Cody, and her beloved James are two of the very minute population of people called "Ones". The Ones are one percent of the human population that has benefited from genetic engineering to grow up healthy, attractive, and gifted. Due to the "unfair advantages" these Ones have, the Supreme court has come to a jurisdiction to isolate the Ones and turn them into second-class citizens. They were treated as objects and not human beings. The Ones were forced to do work, just because they have these so called "advantages". Although, when society releases its cruel impulses towards the Ones, Cody decides to fight back, and her otrage leads her to a radical group of Ones called the Weathermen. Kai, the undeclared leader of the Weathermen, has the same view and rage Cody has toward the goverment, and wants to fight back as well. While Cody is figuring out a way to fight, James has been grappling with his own ordeal, and the very deep, dark secret his father has been keeping.

 

The author's way of presenting his work is the utmost of perfection. The novel goes into such depth at examinig characters, the readers feels as if these people are real. The author attributes the schema people require so they are capable of relating and generating connections between themselves and the characters. One particular instance with Cody left me in complete awe and shock and made me want to dive into the next chapter. The descriptions will pull you forward and drag your eyes across each and every page so you are able to know every possible detail.

 

The story is told in third person omnicient and gives the reader all the emotions of the main characters Cody and James. In my own personal opinion, I find that third person works are a challenge and hassle to read since the reader is unable to solely connect to one person, and feel as though they are the main character in the book. Millions of others would agree with this comment, and I suggest changing the format so it is first person for all chapters, but change points of view for each chapter with Cody and James. 

 

Furthermore, there is an error in only one spot at the fourth paragraph on page 164 in the fourth sentence. Also, some of the vocabulary in the book is a bit to advanced for an everyday reader, and left me rereading many of the sentences to use context clues to understand what a particular word actually meant. I suggest going over your work at adjusting a few of the advanced words. Lastly, I must address the cover and how it does not do the novel justice. The Ones are a special kind of person, and this cover, isn't.

 

Overall, I would indeed recommend this book to a multitude of young adult audiences and administer it 4/5 stars in my own opinion. Sweren-Becker's work is ingenius and will leave its readers' eyes certainly dying for a sequel due to the gargantuan cliff hanger at the end of the novel, The Ones.