The Girl I Used to Be by April Henry | Teen Ink

The Girl I Used to Be by April Henry

February 27, 2016
By abreul SILVER, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
abreul SILVER, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 When Ariel Benson was dropped off at a Walmart when she was three, she thought that her father had killed her mother and left her there. Fourteen years later, and with the new name ‘Olivia’, she learns that her father was killed on the same fateful day…and that the killer had let her live. Now desperate for answers, Olivia travels back to the town she had lived in for her father’s funeral. She has the help of Duncan, a childhood friend, and together they try to track down the killer. Could it be one of her parents’ friends? The crazy homeless man who speaks to her mother’s grave? Olivia must hurry and find out before they all realize who she is, and the killer comes back for her.

The book begins with a preview of what’s to come, as Olivia runs from her parents’ killer. You won’t expect the identity until the very end. An all-around great book filled with suspense and mystery. You really connect with the main character, and feel her troubles of being the survivor of a brutal double homicide. I did not notice any errors from my first reading, and I would recommend this book to future readers.