Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder

After the fantastic and slightly evil ending to Touch of Power, I couldn't wait for this book! I love Maria V. Snyder...and Kerrick...and Avry....and Kerrick and Avry together...and Kerrick and Avry separated and miserable...OK, I'd better stop rambling and get to the actual review.

I loved this book, but it wasn't quite as good as Touch of Power. I loved the characters (have I mentioned that already?) and I really loved where the story went (sorry, no spoilers), but it seemed almost rambling at times and some scenes were just a little disjointed. I really, really loved the book, but it didn't flow in that beautiful way I've come to expect from Ms. Snyder's novels.

Early in the Scent of Magic, Kerrick and Avry split up. I actually really liked that, which surprised me. Having them apart didn't hinder their romance so much as enrich it. Separate, they could focus more on the individual things they had to do, yet they were always in the back of each others minds no matter what. Still, I am hoping that in book 3 there will be more time for them to spend kissing.

The rest of the band that adventured together in Touch of Power were in fine form, particularly Belen and one who managed to surprise me in quite the delightful fashion. Since they all believed Avry dead at the end of the first one except for Kerrick, watching them meet up again was massively entertaining.

All in all, this was a lovely sequel though not quite as magnificent as the first book, and I would highly recommend it. Enjoy. :)