Lost on a Mountain in Maine

Shortly after moving to Maine I decided to read Lost on a Mountain In Maine, because it is required reading for all Maine students. I knew from the beginning that it would not be a very good book because right from page one I could see that the author had no distinct voice. I forced myself to finish the story and came away with a feeling, not just that it wasn't a very good book, but almost that it was missing something critically important. Upon further examination I realized that the story had no real climax. the story did not build up to anything, it was the same (low) level of "excitement" throughout.

Also the author did not actually write the work, but had it narrated to him by the person who experienced it. Therefore the author felt he needed to put, at least, one extremely long footnote on each page. Which I felt really took away from the story.

I was really looking forward to a Hatchet type book that went into detail about surviving in the wilderness. After all, this !) year old boy survived out there for # days. However, the book mostly focused on the boys feelings and thoughts rather than his survival technique. Although, to tell the truth, he didn't really have one, he just kind of went with the flow.

All in all i would say to stay away from this book unless your life (or your English grade) depends on it.

dragonfan said...
Oct. 25, 2009 at 9:22 am
i completely agree. i had to read it in fith grade i didn't care for it but when i finished my teacher apologized 'cause he read it too none liked it .

iluvtravis101 said...
i couldnt agree more with u forrest!! i had to read this absolutely IDODICALLY put together book in 6th grade and it was the most drag-on book ive ever read. and i do agree that the footnotes took away from the story. very well said