The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien | Teen Ink

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien

By Bauer BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
Bauer BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

The Fellowship of the Ring begins with Bilbo Baggins’s 111th birthday party, which is one of the most important Birthdays for any hobbit. Something peculiar then happens at that party. Bilbo invites all of his friends and family to the occasion. Bilbo then proceeds to make a toast, but suddenly he vanishes out of thin air using his ring of power. The ring of power crafted in Morrodor makes anyone invisible, and transforms them into the world of wraith. Bilbo wanted to leave the shire (Where most of the Hobbits Live) and go on one final adventure, leaving behind the the ring of power to his nephew Frodo to destroy. Frodo then starts a complex adventure with his friends: Sam Gamgee, Merry Took, and Pippin Took. They have to fight off monsters and evil beings to ultimately try to take the ring to safety. Along the way Frodo and his friends encounter ring wraiths: people that have been corrupted by the power of the ring. Every step of the way Frodo is trying to stay ahead of the ring Wraiths to hopefully outrun them. While Frodo is trying to bring the ring to safety, Gandalf the grey is battling Solomon a corrupted wizard that has been swayed by the evil, and powerful ring. Gandalf acts as a wise supervisor for Frodo, and keeps Frodo out of trouble.

A major theme in The fellowship of the Ring is that trustworthy friends make it possible to conquer problematic situations. Frodo and his friends encounter many difficulties on the journey and almost always overcome them because they have each other. For example, when Frodo gets stabbed by a Wraith his friends help carry him the the safety of the Elvish town or when Orcs are chasing Frodo, all of his friends help defend Frodo because they care about him. These are just a couple of examples of how trustworthy friends are helpful.

In this book the author portrays Frodo as someone who is struggling internally, but is able to be strong for other people. Frodo knows that he must take the ring to Mordor, however he has a great deal of self doubt and pity that he hides from other people. I can relate to Frodo because of the emotions he displays throughout the story, and I like the book because of that connection. I learned that sometimes we all have to conquer our fears for the greater good. We have to set aside what we are feeling, so other people can be able to carry on with their lives.
I loved this book because I was able to make a personal connection with Frodo because of his emotional problems. I share a lot of the same feelings that Frodo has, and it makes me want to keep reading the book because I understand the theme the author is writing about, that true friendship can help you conquer problematic circumstances.

I would  recommend this book if you are having internal struggles or a having a hard time finding out who you are. This book is great for anyone who enjoys an adventure and learning about true friendship. This book is an epic adventure, and would be a great book for anyone who wants to truly be in a stage of fantasy, the language and descriptiveness of of the text takes you into a world of unknown.