The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By ampetik BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
ampetik BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

The reaping has begun and it is time to pick the tributes for the Hunger Games. The games invite a boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts to fight to the death. The slip is pulled out of the glass ball, and Katniss’ sister, Prim, is called. Katniss cannot stand the thought of Prim dying in th0e games, so she volunteers instead. Throughout the first half of The Hunger Games, a sci-fi novel by Suzanne Collins, Katniss starts training and getting ready for the games at the capitol. After the games start, Katniss almost gets killed, and has a rough beginning to the games. She later on runs into the boy tribute from her district, Peeta, where they then team up for the rest of the games. At the final fight, there are dogs chasing after the tributes, trying to kill Katniss, Peeta, and the only other person left, Cato.

I like Collins’ style of writing and how the book is written in first person. The first person perspective puts you into the world of the book and into the eyes of Katniss. What made me keep reading was the cliffhangers at the end of each chapter. The chapters stopped at an interesting spot, which made me want to start to read the beginning of the next chapter. I loved this book, it just really put me into the world and made me feel like I was really there. I would recommend this book to young adults and people who are interested in books themed around survival, as well as people who are also interested in books of the sci-fi genre.