To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

First, the friendship between Amir and Hassan is very touching, however, it is complex. As children, they were close and had shared so much of their youth together. To Hassan, Amir was his world, he would do anything for him, even sacrifice himself. However, for Amir, he was too young to realize how important of a role Hassan played in his life. But, Amir wanted pride, he wanted praise, he wanted care. Above all, he wanted the attention from his Baba, while his Baba paid his attention to Hassan. Amir was jealous of this relationship, but he was not tough enough to stand out on his own, to fight, to live without Hassan’s protection; Amir was sad, but more specifically, angry at his own cowardice. Then, Hassan was hurt, partly because of Amir, but he had never blamed Amir for that, not even when Amir had turned his back on him. Therefore, the kite flying in the sky did not just symbolize winning, but also Amir’s eventual betrayal of his “best friend” Hassan. This friendship was complex, despite the betrayal, because even as a grown man, Hassan still loved Amir for every moment they had shared in their childhood.