Unwind by Neal Shusterman | Teen Ink

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

By H3ck_boi BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
H3ck_boi BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

In Unwind by Neal Shusterman, the story takes place in a dystopian version of the United States after what’s essentially the second American Civil War. This war caused new laws to be implemented, including a law that made an organ harvesting process called unwinding legal. The main plot focuses on three characters; Connor, Risa, and Lev, who have all, in some way been ordered for unwinding. Connor is a rebellious genius running from the law. Risa is a talented pianist with a kind heart but a tough shell, and Lev is a quirky coward born to be tithed-- a religious type of unwinding. These three characters are brought together and forced to run and hide from the government tracking them down. They battle obstacles like love, friendship, betrayal, and hate, along the way. Though the characters know unwinding is wrong, the government sees differently, but Connor, Risa, and Lev will fight to change their views.

I believe that this book is well done, because the author is very experienced with Unwind being his 28th published book. The book is not only well written with interesting multi-sided characters, but the story is well executed with suspense that will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. With fast-paced action scenes and stress-inducing stealth, the book is packed full of activity that won’t ever get boring. The characters are driven and have realistic personalities, which made them infinitely likable whilst still containing flaws. This definitely helped me burn through the book very quickly. I personally thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I am very excited to finish the series soon. I would recommend Unwind to everyone willing to go on a daring sci-fi dystopian adventure with a great cast of characters.