Unwind by Neal Shusterman | Teen Ink

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

The author of Unwind is Neal Shusterman. In addition to Unwind,  Shusterman has written Everlost, Full Tilt, Downsiders, and The Eyes Of King Midas. Neal writes brilliant rising action, when paired with a perfectly crafted plot, keeps readers hooked from page 1. Unwind best fits in the category of science fiction, with the book intended for young adults and teens.

This story takes place in the near future, in the US. The nation has fought a war. The result of this war was the Bill Of Life, which stated that, “ between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, a parent may choose to retroactively ‘abort’ a child on the condition that the child’s life doesn’t ‘technically’ end. The process by which a child is both terminated and kept alive is called ‘unwinding’” (Shusterman 1).  Unwinding is a process in which all of your organs are transplanted. The main characters we meet in this story are Connor, Risa, and Lev. Connor is a trouble maker that was dropped on his adopted parents doorstep, or “Storked”. Risa is a ward of the state, who is deemed not talented enough to be kept alive. Lev is a Tithe, or a child who was born to be unwound, because of religious beliefs.

The recurring theme of Unwind is fighting for what’s right. The Unwinds must fight for their right to live. They strive for it even though Unwinding is common and accepted in this book’s society. In Unwind, there is a group of people called clappers, who are suicide bombers that detonate themselves by clapping their hands together. Some might think of this as terrible, but clappers mostly attack Harvest Camps, or unwinding facilities. They sacrifice themselves in order to make Unwinds heard. This is a prime example of fighting for what is right.

My first thought of this book was, “I’m hooked!” Neal Shusterman kept me reading every single word of this beautifully crafted book. Its perfect balance of rising and falling action keep you wanting more. I recommend this title to those who want a good Sci-Fi read, or anyone looking to start a new series.

What inspired me to write this is my English teacher. I hope that by reading my review people will want to read Unwind.