One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus | Teen Ink

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

By Charlotte3 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Charlotte3 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Have you ever been framed for something? Cheating on a test? Losing an important paper? Well, the characters in the novel One Of Us Is Lying, know how you feel.

One Of Us Is Lying is a murder mystery novel written by Karen M. McManus. Four students are framed for murder. Woah, woah, woah, let’s start from the beginning. This novel starts out with five students going to detention. There is Bronwyn, the intelligent student who nevers breaks a rule. Then Addy, the bubbly princess who loves her boyfriend with all her heart. Cooper, the athlete who is bound to make it to the big leagues. Nate, the trouble-maker already on probation for dealing drugs. And lastly, Simon Keller the gossip king, who was killed that very day.

With Simon Keller dead, Bronwyn, Addy, Cooper, and Nate instantly become the main murder suspects of the case. Are they being framed? Who did this? But, most importantly, who is lying?

Secrets revealed, thrilling plot twists, and a new kind of mystery fill this book all the way to the very last page. It will keep you guessing until the very end. McManus has truly outdone herself with this piece, throwing the readers in different directions, keeping specific questions unanswered, but most importantly, she has an unforgettable theme. The theme that she showed was that people are more than just titles and stereotypes.There is more to everyone than just a couple words, whether those things be good or bad. Each character changes, each character's secrets are revealed, but it’s up to you to find out who really killed Simon Keller.

Overall, this book is perfect for young-adults and anyone who loves a good mystery, but there are some mature scenes. There are also surprising plot twists, and it seems as if these students’ lives are changing completely. Each character has a different story, each character has different views on Simon Keller’s death, but it truly is an amazing mystery. Some say it’s unrealistic, but Mcmanus makes them think otherwise. She has written an amazing piece, and I would rate it five stars out of five. This novel truly is astonishing in its ending, so go out and buy a copy!

One Of Us Is Lying is an amazing novel filled to the brim with mystery! If you are more interested in Karen M. McManus' work, then read this review, and don't worry there are no major spoilers.