House of Purple Cedar by Tim Tingle | Teen Ink

House of Purple Cedar by Tim Tingle

By JailynJ BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan
JailynJ BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan

The House of Purple Cedar, to me, is a book of historical fiction lessons. Written by Tim Tingle . This book took place in the late 1800s. The narrator ,Rose, learns her lessons and is also making me realize situations that will help in the long run. It is crazy how you can learn so much from a book!

I love how the narrator saw her grandparents as and looked up to them. ¨My grandmother burned with the hot breath of the spirit, the life fire¨ (173). Her Amafo was very brave also, he stood up to the marshal rather than just staying away and being quiet about it. You could tell throughout the story she learned  from them. I feel like this taught me that you never know what you have until it’s gone. Also, you never know when what you have will be gone. Which is why you should cherish everything you have and enjoy life and the moments it gives to you while you can!

It’s not just people that could be taken away at any minute or second. New Hope was gone and everyone was devastated. That’s where she grew up at and it was just gone in an instant, it burnt down and there was nothing they could do. They even lost people who were in the building at the time of the fire. I just could not imagine something like that happening to me . I wouldn't know what to do ! She went through so much. This book teaches so many life lessons , I recommend reading it!