The Martian by Andy Weir | Teen Ink

The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian by Andy Weir is an educational book while still being humourous. The main character is Mark Watney, who is a crew member of the Ares 3 mission to Mars. Ares 3 had travelled to Mars on Hermes. The crew sleeps, eats, and does experiments in their temporary home called the hab. The crew has many responsibilities like doing experiments and research in order to make new discoveries.
One day, a furious sandstorm evolved on the surface. The crew could not see anything and NASA worried that this storm could last months, as it was life-threatening. NASA ordered the astronauts to board the Hermes for their flight home. While the crew was boarding, the storm got worse and Mark Watney was struck by a dislodged antenna and the crew had no choice but to leave him on Mars. Earth believed he was dead but little did they know, he survived and was already planning for the Ares 4 to come rescue him. He grew his own food, and finally made contact with NASA. Finally, his crew was devoted to Marks rescue and they did just that.
Mark was the main character of The Martian and he educates readers about science in space. The reason The Martian is so successful is because he educates with humour. There are many jokes throughout the book which will keep readers interested. Marks determination and hard work is the reason he survived.
The main problem of this story was the issue of bringing Mark Watney home safely. First, Mark tried to extend his time on Mars by growing potatoes, and after that didn’t work, NASA tried sending him food and water so he could last till Ares 4 but that also blew up. Finally NASA notified his crew to go back and pick him up.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves humour, space, or science. It's a win win because you are getting smarter while having a good time! Read this book if you like adventure and action!