Slam! book review | Teen Ink

Slam! book review

By ELLAAA BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
ELLAAA BRONZE, Sandy, Utah

Slam! by Walter Dean Myers is a story of a talented high school basketball player who has dreams of making it big. Gregory “Slam” Harris must overcome many challenges in order to achieve his dreams. The biggest challenge is getting his grades up in his so that he can continue doing what he loves, playing basketball. Even when he thinks the world is against him, thanks to the help of his family and his teachers he can pull through. He realizes that in order to change, he no longer wants to be in Harlem and end up like his drug dealer friend, Ice. Throughout the book Slam’s determination is inspiring and his love for the game pushes him even harder.
Slam! is a great afternoon read and is very uplifting. It is a great book for those struggling with keeping their grades up or managing time. The amazing author, Walter Dean Myers has won many awards including The Coretta Scott King award and The Newbery Award. I would definitely recommend reading this book even you aren't struggling, because it is a quick read and an inspiring story.

An English assignment