Twilight by Stephanie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

March 7, 2017
By Anonymous

Love is described very deeply in both texts. The texts outline the unconditional, irrevocable love in between two people as strength and a weakness. Throughout the text, in the book Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and the text in the song It Will Rain by Bruno Mars, the theme of “suffering for forbidden love” is bolded for emphasis with metaphors, vivid imagery and loved one’s acceptance towards the other partner.

 

Families and Friends perception could adjust to a narrow down version of what they believe they are seeing when a person they love is in a relationship with another. No matter where you are at in the relationship or how apparent both are fond of each other, it always ties back to a comparison of who is better. Particularly favoring one for the other. This inflicts more pain on the couple then the loved ones who claim they only wish the best. A quote from the song, It Will Rain state's, “I'll never be your mother's favorite. Your daddy can't even look me in the eye. Ooh, if I was in their shoes, I'd be doing the same thing. Sayin’ "There goes my little girl. Walkin' with that troublesome guy." This quote shows the relationship the artist, in this case, Bruno Mars, has with the parents. Obviously, the parents do not appreciate him the same way the daughter does but even so Bruno Mars respects and understands why they wouldn’t think highly of him. In Twilight the same idea happens not with the narrator but her boyfriend Edward. Edward knows that Bella’s father has not given him full permission, so unlike most young men, he decides to take it slow with Bella and be an honorable boyfriend. Suffering for forbidden love comes in mind because in both scenarios they choose to still stay in the relationship even though they know the parents will never truly approve them.

 

Metaphors are ways we express our reality with a fragment of fantasy. We release our imagination while comparing two, unlike things. In many cases love is shown through rhymes or poems used to dramatically show feelings. A quote from the song, It Will Rain state’s, “Cause there'll be no sunlight. If I lose you, baby. There'll be no clear skies. If I lose you, baby. Just like the clouds. My eyes will do the same if you walk away. Everyday it'll rain.” It appears as if the girl Bruno Mars is singing about is his everything. He feels like there is a connection that both of them have that when lost there will be nothing to live for. The lyrics compare weather with his emotions claiming that she is the sun and without the sunshine, there is darkness or sadness like the rain (or tears) from his eyes. In Twilight Bella asks Edward if he is addicted to her like a drug and he replies, “Yes, you are exactly my brand of heroin,” (Meyer 268). Bella is not in any way, shape, or form a drug so this can only be taken figuratively. Edward feels as if Bella is his addiction, and while this may seem like a romantic gesture, feeling dependent on something can leave you feeling lost when you can no longer be in contact with the substance or in this case person. The idea of suffering for love becomes apparent when these guys realize they are a slave to their lover, but decide to put themselves in this situation anyway because they are obsessed.

 

Vivid Imagery creates pictures of the adjectives or adverbs we use in text to make the readers feel like they are there at the moment.  We describe scenes of romance as slow with tension or fast with tender. In both pieces, vivid imagery pulls in the reader or listener that show how much the character needs the other. A quote from the song, It Will Rain state’s, “And pick up these broken pieces 'til I'm bleeding. If that'll make you mine.” With the descriptive imagery, you can picture the artist picking up shards of glass until the love of his life notices the amount of work and time he is giving up. The lyrics also state, “There's no religion that could save me
No matter how long my knees are on the floor,” which he goes in depth in showing how much sacrifices he’s making just to keep her by his side. In Twilight the text states, “I’ve told you, on the one hand, the hunger-the thirst-that, deplorable creature that I am, I feel for you,” (Meyer 277), “There are hungers. Hungers that I don’t even understand that are foreign to me,” (Meyer 278).


Since it is difficult for Edward to know the difference between the thirst of love and the thirst of his lover’s blood, more of the text will meet at a borderline of both. Edward complains again and again that when he is with Bella he is starving just as much as he is without for two completely different reasons. The idea of suffering for love comes in when they use their words to share a detailed expression of how it is like undergoing pain for affection.

 

To wrap up, I have contrasted and compared two very different yet alike writings. While they both share the same message and have been featured in a series of movies, the authors or artists aren’t the same and one is a book with plot meanwhile the other is a song with the chorus. Twilight portrays how distressful a relationship can be with two totally different people like yin and yang. It Will Rain portrays how distressful the aftermath of a relationship that cracked under pressure is when one person has moved on while the other is still holding on. Tying both together to my claim unconditional, irrevocable love in between two people is a strength as it is a weakness.


The author's comments:

This a review about a book that I feel very passionate about.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.