Freakonomics by Stephen J. Dubner, Steven Levitt | Teen Ink

Freakonomics by Stephen J. Dubner, Steven Levitt

December 15, 2016
By CallMiPadre108 BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
CallMiPadre108 BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Freakonomics was a book I was recently assigned to read by one of my teachers. I had discussed this with some of my peers; to my surprise many of them have read it, and even owned a copy. This had caught me off guard and made me start to wonder what the book Freakonomics had to offer. Looking into the table of contents I could tell that the book was full of humorous lessons that were to be explained to the reader.

One of my favorite chapters was the very first chapter itself. This chapter was titled "What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?" This is a perfect example of what I was saying in the first paragraph. Just by the title of the chapter,  your mind would be racing to try to make the connection between a teacher and a sumo wrestler. The connection explained in the text was that when the stakes were high; school teachers and sumo wrestlers were more likely to cheat.

Overall I thought this book was great. It made a lot of different connections that had oddly gone together, such as:  real estate agents to Ku Klux Klan members; and the socioeconomic pattern to naming children.The book taught a lot of valuable lessons that I feel everyone should know. It was very humorous, and got the mind racing.