The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

November 16, 2016
By mcatania BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
mcatania BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

According to Augustus Waters, this world we live in is not a wish-granting factory, so we must learn to live and adapt to what we have. This touching story will always keep you wondering what will happen next as it will make you laugh, cry, smile and cringe. “The Fault in Our Stars” -A New York Times bestseller written by John Green, is a realistic fictional romance novel that takes you in for a ride you’ve never once experienced before; an emotional rollercoaster, one might call it.


“The Fault in Our Stars” is about a girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster, who is a not-so-ordinary teenage girl living with a terminal form of thyroid cancer in her lungs. She is depressed, and convinced that depression is a side effect of dying. Hazel’s mom forced her into going to a support group filled with other teens her age who are also experiencing cancer-related hardships. She ran into a young man named Augustus Waters, who wouldn’t stop staring at her since the moment he set his eyes on her. It did not take long for them to become friends. One night, Hazel suggested that Augustus reads a book called “An Imperial Affliction” by Peter Van Houton. She has read the book several times as she feels that she can relate to it like no other. Augustus read the book and he became obsessed too- for the ending left you in a cliffhanger. The two quickly fell in love and travelled and did things they never imagined doing together (given the physical state they were in). John Green will certainly keep you wanting to read more!


I usually prefer fantasy over romance when it comes to choosing a book, but this novel certainly changed my view on that. What really grabbed my attention about this story was how passionate Hazel and Augustus were about reading this book and finding out what happens in the end. Green made me feel as if I were right there with the characters. Hazel and Augustus were both sick, but that didn’t stop them. They proved that no matter how little you have, you can still make the best of it and be happy.


The main idea of this book is that perseverance is key. Coming out of reading this book gives you a whole new perspective on life. It teaches that we are valuing the wrong things in life and what you really need to be happy is standing right in front of you, a friend. The only thing you need to make you happy is a friend. Don’t miss out on this heartfelt, emotional, comedic, romantic must-read!


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.