Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne

November 6, 2016
emilythemusicalunicron BRONZE, SLC, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

19 years after the release of the first book in the Harry Potter series, readers have been invited back to the world of Harry Potter, through a portkey in the form of a book titled Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. This book reveals what happens after the conclusion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, extending the Harry Potter series through another enjoyable story.
The book mostly follows the story of Albus Severus Potter, the son of Harry Potter and his friend, Scorpius Malfoy, the son of Draco Malfoy, and their adventures after they get their hands on a time-turner. Throughout the book, Albus struggles with finding out who he really is, as a consequence of having such a famous father. The expectations for him as a Potter are endless. Will he be as skilled as his father? Will he be sorted into Gryffindor? These are the questions that plague Albus. Meanwhile, Harry is being haunted by the ghosts of his past, while trying to succeed as a parent.
This is a fairly enjoyable book that did not disappoint. Hermione, Ron, and Draco all made an appearance in this book and seeing the world of Harry Potter come back to life is amazing. These characters have grown up and matured, but having them in the book brings back poignant memories of nights spent speeding through the Harry Potter books, and really gives this book some personality. It is great to have the new younger generation of characters as the focus of this book, but on some parts where a new character was added in, the addition didn’t really make sense and it seems like it was randomly put in. The format of the book is slightly odd to read, since it was a script, but it is still a wonderful story.
As a book, this is lacking in details. This is understandable since it is a script, and it is meant to be seen as a play, not read as a book. With that being said, a lot of the details that are missing from the book would probably have been expressed in the play through the actors and the sets. Through the dialogue, the characters are built up, and there isn’t much of a problem with characterization. The plot isn’t great. It doesn’t flow smoothly and there are places with plot holes.
Nonetheless, with all the problems this book has, it is still a delightful read. Anyone who would like to escape reality for a little while will appreciate all that this book has to offer, especially if they are a Harry Potter fan. This book is definitely recommended for adults and teens who are looking for a highly enjoyable light read.