Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin | Teen Ink

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

Liz is your typical teenage girl until she is killed in a car accident. She then finds herself on a strange boat with a one-way ticket to Elsewhere where she will begin her afterlife. All Liz wants is to be back home with her family and friends. She just can't seem to move on from the past and start her new 'life' in Elsewhere.

In her novel Elsewhere, Gabrielle Zevin weaves an intriguing story about a fascinating world called Elsewhere that will change the way you think about an afterlife. Elsewhere is the home to people who have died.
When Liz arrives in Elsewhere she meets her Grandmother who had died of Breast Cancer before Liz was born. Liz soon discovers the Observation Decks, which allow the residents of Elsewhere to see what is happening on earth. She becomes obsessed with watching her family and friends and even tries to make contact with the living, which is illegal in Elsewhere.
One of the things that makes this book so thought provoking is that every resident of Elsewhere ages backwards until they are babies. When they are seven days old, the babies are placed in the river to float back to earth where they are reborn. I think this an interesting twist that the author added to give the story more depth.
Elsewhere is a great book for readers who enjoy a little bit of fantasy mixed with realistic fiction. In the end, readers will come to understand that death is not something to fear. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin is a bittersweet book full of thoughtful details.

NICKSTER said...
on Mar. 26 2009 at 12:45 am
Dude this is AWESOME! It should totally be in Teen Ink. I have no doubt that you will make it. I like how you had a good thesis and a good end. But your beginning was AMAZING! It made me want to read the book right away. It was totally good. I liked how you used words that just completly drew me into your review. You should be a writer or a book critic. Overall REALLY nice job. I just have to read the book right now. Nice job Anonymous! Your the kind of writer the world needs. Smart, Hard-worker and all around great at descrbing. Again I have to say REALLY nice job.

ASM08540 said...
Well-written. Great Job.

EJM215 said...
on Mar. 6 2009 at 2:34 am
Very well-written! I want to read the book right away!

dancer16 said...
on Mar. 6 2009 at 1:15 am
Great!!