Gregor and the Code of Claw | Teen Ink

Gregor and the Code of Claw

February 26, 2009
By Caremell-Dansen BRONZE, Jamison, Pennsylvania
Caremell-Dansen BRONZE, Jamison, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Adventures. Kids can't get enough of them. Giant animals, dinosaurs and fantasy creatures, just like in the movies. But Gregor can't stand them. Because as time tick, tick, ticks away, his death is predicted by the last in a series of prophecies in Gregor and the Code of Claw by Suzanne Collins. Down in the Underland, with all its giant animals, The giant white rat, Bane is leading an army of rats to kill all the other animals and people down there and the prophecy of time predict the death of the Overland Warrior, Gregor.

As Gregor finds himself back in the Underland with his little sister, Boots, they are trying to de-code the Code of the Claw. In the prophecy of time, which predicts Gregor's death, Boots is a key player as the de-coder of the Code. The rest of the code team is made up of one of each of the animals down there. Ripred is a rat who doesn't agree with the Bane, even though Ripred raised him, so he sides with the humans, mice, cockroaches, and some of the spiders because other spiders side with the Bane. Some of the rats are also like Ripred and side with the humans and fight on their side secretly.

This book was mysterious and unpredictable, like Ripred, and an extremely well written for children and adults. It will make the reader think about how hard long distance love is and how things aren't always as they seem.