Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick | Teen Ink

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

February 26, 2009
By Anonymous

Max, a huge kid who lives in his own basement finds out that a new kid, Freak, is living next door. Freak, a very small kid the same age as Max, becomes friends with max and goes on wild adventures with Max tagging along. These heart-stopping journeys take the two far into the world of Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick.


This book is all about trust. It shows you that you should always trust yourself even if you are nervous, or scared. It also shows you that only what you think about yourself matters. In this book, Max gets called mean names such as Maxipad. I don't think that Max is very fond of this name but he ignores it. Just like it wasn't even there.



Philbrick did a great job combining the two different kinds of fiction together. He taught me that even though people might seem really different on the outside, that they might be the same on the inside. This lesson reminds me of a saying that so many people have told me: don't judge a book by its cover. Also, sometimes people tell me to think of the books as people. This book has taught me a lot.


Philbrick taught me so many lessons throughout this book but this lesson stands out to me the most. The words humorous, heart-warming, happy perfectly describes this book. I think that this book is one of the best I have ever read. If you are a reader who is hungry for realistic and non-fiction combined, this book with really fill you up!


The author's comments:
It is one of the best books i have ever read!