The Young World | Teen Ink

The Young World

December 4, 2015
By jade21 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
jade21 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

                                        The Young World
Often, books will catch a person’s interest from the moment they find them on the shelf. It is difficult to find a book that not only catches the interest of a reader, but keeps the reader enticed throughout the entire story. The Young World happens to be a novel that will keep a reader thrilled and on the edge of their seat. Whether it is from following Donna, Jefferson, BrainBox, and Peter across the ill-stricken country fighting for their lives while battling against rival clans or finding the cure for the rare sickness, the entire book there are moments that will leave a reader in shock and wanting more.
Although the first few pages may be confusing, you will be drawn in to understand what exactly is happening. The Young World is narrated by the teenage protagonists, Jefferson and Donna. Jefferson is the new leader of the Washington Square Park Clan after his brother Washington, who was the former leader, had recently passed away from “the sickness”. Donna is the close friend and love interest for Jefferson and she is also the doctor that cares for the clan. You must be asking, Why is there a clan that is run by teenagers? Unfortunately, the rare virus infected every person except for the teenagers that were younger than 18 and older than a child would be. After this mysterious sickness struck the country and the government went awry, tightly run clans were formed across the country with the teenagers from different areas. While there was not a set government or currency, the various clans had a system among themselves to stay alive. However, the young people that are still alive are wondering how and why they were left alive while this mysterious sickness struck the rest of the population. This question sparks the motivation to start the journey for the group of friends from the Washington Square Clan to find the cure for the sickness.
A thrilling book for one may not be as enticing for another. If you are interested in a book that is action filled with heart-felt moments and a few bits of romance, then I recommend you read The Young World. It is truly an exciting read if you are interested in this style of writing, but there have been many mixed reviews of this book. Honestly, the first few pages are confusing and may cause you to want to stop reading, but if you push through you will be thrilled throughout the rest of the book. The plot is mainly focused for teenagers seeing as it is about a future world that is run by teens, but adults may also enjoy the storyline. 
To continue, throughout the book there was constantly moments that left me in awe. However, there were other moments that did not work for me. If you have the patience to read a book that has its ups and downs, then this is a perfect read for you. Honestly, I’m glad I read this book because it left me with a different perspective on how to problem solve in difficult situations. Jefferson’s leadership skills and BrainBox’s smarts are a perfect combination for getting through difficult times. It shows you how we might survive if this ever happened to us. Finally, The Young World may not be the best read for you, but it will definitely give you different perspectives for life.