The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry

By nasir white BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey
nasir white BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey

Imagine if you existed in a world that nobody knows about, hears about, and is defined as a utopian society, which means not a place. A world where there no outsiders, everyone is the same, and don't know about nothing. Until you become the receiver. You are and no longer are the same, your whole world flipped upside down. Now you get an education, no longer the same, you're an outlier, and you have the right to do anything you want. You can lie to any and everybody you want to. Now you have a huge difficult choice, which can change your whole life for freedom and seek your real self, your identity, and see what's really happening in the society, or live our life letting our society suffer like slaves not even knowing. In the award winning, science fiction novel, The Giver, author Lois Lowry creates a utopian society that is fun to read and gets you thinking.

This book is very interesting, but settle. In the book the society is color blind except those that are going to be The Giver. About becoming the giver, the main character became the receiver. Like I said earlier this job is very hard, so like a realistic person would most likely do, run. Before he ran he was shocked because of the witnessing of his father killing a baby. This made him even more rebellious. When Jonas saw this tragic behavior, he lost his innocence. He was no longer a regular child, he would go against his father and he would run. Like a normal person you wouldn't be able to live in that society because you witnessed your father killing a baby. Then knowing that he does this everyday as his job, you just want to kill him.

If you had read this book you wouldn't of wanted to put it down, this book is one of the most interesting books I have ever read. This will have you reading the same sentence two to three times to clarify it. For example, when Jonas was playing with the apple throwing it up, it changed to its real color in midair. When this happened this made me think. I didn't know what happened. I just read it, then I had to read it again to clarify. This is why it is interesting.

This book is suited for the ages twelve to thirteen. I say this because twelve is the age when you are maturing, this is the stage where you are becoming a teenager, like Jonas. Also the age thirteen year olds maybe going through these hardships. So they can learn from the mistakes Jonas did. Are you willing to sacrifice your life for freedom and seeking your real self. The incident where Jonas witnessed his father killing the baby and him making the decision to run away lead me to this theme. This event caught my attention and gave me this idea because there is a big thing when the receiver leaves because all of the memories they received they will give away to the society and the society wont be the same when they know what really happen. The reason he ran was because he wanted freedom and in that Utopian society wasn't giving it to him there. Then he didn't know who he was he didn't know who he really was because he was lied to his whole life so he went to seek it. Like a great man once said, 'The secret to happiness if freedom. The secret to freedom is courage,' and that indeed Jonas needed, happiness, and he had, courage.