The Innocent Man by John Grisham | Teen Ink

The Innocent Man by John Grisham MAG

By Shelby Wilson BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Shelby Wilson BRONZE, Plano, Texas

It is a shame that John Grisham waited so long to attempt his first nonfiction work.

This story of Ron Williamson is both tragic and disturbing. The town of Ada, Oklahoma, seizes upon an opportunity to rid itself of an undesirable character and “solve” two brutal murders. The local constabulary chooses to prosecute the shady Williamson and neglects to pursue other possible suspects.

This false accusation leads to decades of suffering for Williamson and his family. He is forced to deal with the terrible work of the police, the overzealous and unlawful conviction, the weak defense against his charges, and the horrible ineffectiveness of the judge. When he is finally released, he emerges a broken man, both physically and ­mentally.

Grisham shines a spotlight on the tiny town of Ada so ­perhaps future aberrations of justice can be averted. ­Although Grisham does not build up suspense, his work is detailed and informative in telling the real story of this wrongful murder conviction.

The Innocent Man is a compelling account of everyday failure in the justice system and a depressing drama about a man’s grueling battle with mental health. Grisham wrote about an unbelievable American tragedy and this work is probably his strongest legal thriller yet.

on May. 28 2009 at 3:19 pm
aambeeer! BRONZE, Portia, Arkansas
I am going to find this book, and read it now!