Freakonomics | Teen Ink

Freakonomics

February 9, 2009
By Lauren Hoyle BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Lauren Hoyle BRONZE, Plano, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Steven Levitt's 'Freakonomics' is an obscure mixture of business ethics and random real life situations. I view it less of a novel and more of a hand guide, almost like 'Economics for Dummies.' The real life situations he embeds in the book help to teach the reader the unknown similarities that real life situations have in common with economics.

The introduction seemed to draw me right in with its humor and creative writing style. Levitt always kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering how he was going to tie two very contrary things, abortion and crime, together. Each chapter seemed to have its own plot; independent form the rest. I found it much easier to wrap my head around each individual scenario also because Levitt explained in great detail the chapter's economic background.

The most interesting characteristic to me seemed to be Levitt's use of charts to explain his theories in even more detail. Also, its almost as if he wrote the book to teach the reader the basis of economics. By the end of the book I seemed to be more in tune with the basics of business ethics.

Steven Levitt's book can be enjoyed by almost all ages. Every member of my family has enjoyed this book and each found an individual likeness towards it. I feel Levitt successfully appealed to all ages through his creative scenarios and humorous intellect.