An Abundance of Katherines by John Green | Teen Ink

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

September 9, 2015
By DefinitelyNotABee BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
DefinitelyNotABee BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Keep your bad vibes out of my cornflakes.


An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Creative plot, but an odd style of writing.
3/5 stars

The book was okay. The plot was creative, but a little unusual, but an unusual plot isn't exactly a bad thing. I think the plot being unusual was what made it so creative. Actually, it was all great, except for the writing style. I couldn't follow along at times, the story seemed to drag on, and I got lost a lot while reading.

The main idea of the story was great. Child prodigy, Colin Singleton, has been dating since the third grade, and has only dated Katherines. Colin had broken up with his 19th girlfriend, which was, of course, another Katherine. He went on a road trip with his best and only friend, Hassan, to take his mind off her, because he missed her. A lot. They wound up in Gutshot, Tennessee, a town that claimed to have the grave of the Archduke Francis Ferdinand. There, the boys met a girl named Lindsey, and her mom, Hollis. While in the small town, Colin tries to come up with an algorithm for how long a couple would be together. He was trying to have what he called, "His eureka moment." The book describes the many adventures of the three friends, and has great structure.

My rating is 3/5 stars. Mainly because of the writing style. I don't normally read John Green books, so I wasn't used to his writing. Besides that, it was a great story, with a good plot and characters.

It's a great book in general, with a few flaws here and there. There were any unique characters and funny moments. It is easy to get lost, and at times the book seems to drag on. But, I would recommend this book to teens and young adults who like comedy, romance, and adventure.