_Wild by Cheryl Strayed | Teen Ink

_Wild by Cheryl Strayed

By MrJustPeachy BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
MrJustPeachy BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

There are 2 things I believe. #1 is to never share all your knowledge.

“Wild” by Cheryl Strayed is an adventure book that encompasses the events in her life that led up to the decision of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. She starts the book by showing how her life fell apart, with her mother dying from cancer and divorcing her husband, leaving her life in shambles. She went on the PCT to find herself, to give her life a meaning again after she was left with nothing. The book was separated by chapters and parts. The book is split up five parts showcasing different parts of her life/adventure. This format splits up the major settings and life moments in the book. These break up her life before the trail, some of the large moments she has while hiking and meeting others, and her life after she hikes the PCT. The book was very relatable to me as both our mothers died by cancer. Even though it was a completely different experience, as she was much older than me, and her mother died far quicker than mine, you still feel the same emotions. When this happens you end up wondering why her, why me? It must be a punishment, she never deserved this. There are the time where you just look up in the sky and curse at it, letting it know how it feels to be missing the most important person in your childhood. She has many emotional breakdowns over the course of her hike, but they slowly going away as she meets different people and their issues. Throughout the book she changes and her perspective changes the farther along she hikes, truly finding herself and purpose.