Columbine by Dave Cullen | Teen Ink

Columbine by Dave Cullen

May 21, 2015
By tiffaani4 SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
tiffaani4 SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The book,”Columbine” by Dave Cullen portrays the fearful and anxious feeling as if you were apart of the massacre. From the kick off, Cullen directly approaches the living styles and personalities of all involved, it’s a good start but-- there is a lot of information to comprehend and remember. Also included, is the broken-down myths that developed during and after the shooting, which helps clear things up a bit if online sources said otherwise. Cullen offers compelling evidence, leaving the reader to interpret the real intentions of the massacre. The scene plays out incredibly clear and ultimately fast. The text intends to paint a black and white picture, but as each word develops the more detailed the painting becomes and starts to add color to Cullen’s writing. Although, because of the HD clarity, every single detail plays out, making it difficult to keep track of everything going on. Generally, we don’t need all of the baby steps that played out. Now don’t get it wrong, every emotion and heart-wrenching truth is what keeps it interesting as well as the capture behind the scenes, because these details are what we as humans can relate to. Just as Cullen gives you a hopeful foundation to stand on, and as soon as you think you’re stable, he yanks it from under you and leaves you on a new pile to build a new foundation of opinions-- of course based on factual events. The entity that the book leaves you with is essentially historically terrifying, because no one thought this massacre to play out in a public high school.


The author's comments:

I currently attend Columbine High school and this book breaks down the truth of what really played out.