Beloved by Toni Morrison | Teen Ink

Beloved by Toni Morrison

By jessica weaver BRONZE, Scottsville, Kentucky
jessica weaver BRONZE, Scottsville, Kentucky

In the beginning the reader notices “Beloved” is a confusing story about slavery.”124 were SPITEFUL. Full of a baby’s venom.” This makes no sense as a sentence by itself. It is confusing the only way to figure out what is going on is to read all the way through. You have to like mysterious, suspenseful, and astonishing stories to enjoy is publication.

In the story there is a mother (Sethe) and a daughter (Denver) and they have an extraordinary life, and this historical fiction story tells the readers all about their story.  Sethe is the main character. Sethe hasn’t got to have any of her kids accept Denver. Sethe starts not knowing her mother and is raised and nursed by a woman slave. Then as a teenager she is sold and goes to Sweet Home where there is a nice couple who give her crystal earrings when they give her opportunity to marry Halle, they can’t legally get married but they have a wedding ceremony. Sethe has four children with Halle. They explain how Sethe is molested because the white boys assume they can get away with everything they do to the slaves because they are not considered as people. Denver is the daughter of Sethe. Denver is very strange she likes Beloved, Beloved is a stranger that wonders up out of nowhere and acts very strange. When Beloved comes into the picture and she is very unnatural. Denver loves beloved and beloved comes from nowhere. Sethe and beloved have something going on that is hard to understand. This intensifies the publication and creates this melodramatic story.

This is a baffling, suspenseful story. The narrator tells future then past then future then past until the whole story ties itself together. In the story someone will be talking then it will cut to something else like it caused them to remember something from before. Almost as if you are inside their head and you are flashing back. Also the story can lose you but it keeps you wondering what is happening the whole time. The readers will be involved within the story. The story is great if you can wait until the story ties together. The story is interesting because it could have happened and parts of it did like the lynching and the whipping. When I thought about how the story could have happened it made me want to read further into the story. 

In Beloved you read about ghosts and horrible things the slaves had to survive in those terrible times. People where so scared they killed their children so they didn't have to live the terrible life they had to. They also flee from their homes and send their kids off with strangers and waited to leave when they thought it was safe for them to join them. They would work pregnant, sick, barely able to walk, and in more pain then anyone now would.

Beloved is a book that is confusing and dull in the beginning because you do not know what is going on throughout until you get to the second half of the book it starts explaining everything. In the beginning it jumps around, if you do not have patients then this is not the book for you. If you can deal with it this is a great book I liked it very much, my favorite part is when you finally figure out how beloved came to their home and why she is there.

This story tells you things about slave times you might not have already known. It also gives you a new understanding of what the slaves went through. This publication also shows a weird twist to what you know and hear about the slavery times.

This book is a great book for people that are sitting in on rainy days, or if you have a lot of time on your hands it’s a very good book. This book is engaging because it keeps you asking questions about what is going on and who people and etc.