The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time | Teen Ink

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

I have been recently reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. In my opinion this was an all right novel. Some parts were confusing due to the fact the narrator is a child with autism named Christopher. He is very good at math and science but tends to be extremely random. He dislikes when people touch him or get to close to him. He strongly dislikes the colors yellow and brown for many different reasons. One day Christopher spots his neighbor's dog, Wellington, lying in the garden brutally murdered with a pitchfork. He has no clue as to who killed Wellington or why he is killed so he takes the responsibility of solving the mystery. This is a good adventure / mystery book that has a great plot.

This story takes place in England. It is similar to the world we know. In the book Christopher travels by train and subway, which gives the feel of a big city.

With research I found that Mark Haddon has experience working with autistic children, which explains the main character that has autism. Christopher having autism makes the theme and the words he says a lot stronger then if the character did not have autism.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is good at understanding novels and other things. If you have trouble understanding things I would not recommend this book for you due to the randomness. This book also uses very explicit language so I would only recommend this book for mature people who can handle a little swearing.