The Hound of the Baskervilles | Teen Ink

The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle is probably the best book I have ever read. It is the perfect mystery book; it has one big mystery with many smaller ones coming up throughout the investigation. When one of these are solved, it seems that two more open up. The book keeps you guessing to the very end, and there are many plot twists to make the already fascinating story more interesting.

The book starts off with the number one super sleuth Sherlock Holmes and his friend/partner Dr. Watson being approached with the mystery of the Hound of the Baskervilles. The demon hound is said to creep upon the moor near Baskerville Hall, and it hunts down any Baskervilles that walk upon the moor at night. The previous inhabitant of the hall, Charles Baskerville, was found dead on the moor with the footprint of a large dog lying next to his body. This arouses the suspicion of Henry Baskerville who has just inherited Baskerville Hall. Henry asks Holmes to get to the bottom of this hound business, and thus begins his biggest case yet.

The story is told from the first person perspective of Dr. Watson, which is great because since you don't know what Holmes is thinking, you get the chance to make your own theory about what is happening. There are many clues in the story, along with a number of red herrings to throw you off. All in all, the books is a real page turner; after the first 40 pages (these are good too, but first the mystery has to build) it becomes impossible to put down until you finish the book. I give this book two thumbs up, and recommended it to every mystery lover.