So B. It | Teen Ink

So B. It

So B. It was written by Sarah Weeks. She has been writing children's books and songs for the past twenty years. She is a graduate of Hampshire College and NYU and recently became a faculty member in the Writing Program at the New School University, in New York City. Her first young adult novel, So B. It, which appeared on the LA Times bestseller list was chosen as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a Booksense 2004 best book of the year, and received the 2004 Parent's Choice Gold Award. Sarah Weeks is a tireless promoter, visiting schools throughout the country, talking to children about writing, reading her books, singing her songs, serving as author-in-residence and speaking to teachers and librarians at national conferences. She now lives in New York City with her two teenage sons.
So B. It is a detailed story of one girl's journey to find who she really is. Heidi and her mother showed up at a woman's apartment when Heidi was just a baby. This woman later became a mother like figure for Heidi.

The main character in this novel is Heidi. She is twelve years old, very lucky, and won't let anything stop her. When she was a baby her mother and her showed up at a woman's apartment. This woman is Bernie. Bernie is an old woman and has a fear of leaving her home. Bernie helps with Heidi's mom, also known as Mama. Heidi explains her mother as having a bum brain. Mama only knows twenty three words and a few everyday actions.

However, Heidi and Bernie can't get anything out of Mama about where she came from, who is her family, and what is her real name? These questions taunt Heidi. But, the one thing that bothers Heidi the most is the word, soof. Heidi has tried to figure out what this word means, but she can't nail it.

One day when Heidi uncovers a camera in the back of a drawer she asks Bernie about it. Bernie tells Heidi that Mama had the camera when she first came. Immediately Heidi develops the pictures.

These pictures make Heidi anxious to learn who she really is. She wants to take a journey across America, however, Bernie feel very strongly that Heidi should not go. This trip will take Heidi places she has never seen. She will meet different people, overcome challenges, and at the same time learn about life and who she really is.

When Heidi arrives at her destination she is scared and alone. She goes to the Hilltop Home, which was shone in the pictures. When Heidi arrives she is confused about what one man accuses her of, and her mother's name, So B. It is not in the files. But, through the process of trying to find out who she is people help her and Heidi finally feels like someone was doing something for her.

In the end, Heidi has changed forever. All the puzzles pieces of her life have come together. Heidi got what she wanted, but something very tragic happens that changes Heidi. Even after being offered to live in Liberty, New York where Hilltop Home is, she goes back to Reno to live with Bernie. She starts up school and still visits Liberty.

This novel is full of details so that the reader can not question anything. It is full of suspense that makes you want to keep reading and wonder if Heidi will find out her identity. This is a great novel and I would recommend this book to anyone to read.