The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In modern writing, there is a difference between beautifully written stories and simply beautiful stories.

If you compared it to beautifully written stories, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas would not come out on top. Its vocabulary, sentence structure, and metaphors are extremely simple. Yet after reading it, I didn't feel disappointed or dissatisfied. It captivated me, despite its straight-forward presentation.

Targeting neither children nor adults, author John Boyne has presented readers with a unique story of the Holocaust, told from the point of view of a nine-year-old boy named Bruno. Virtually unaware of the terrible events happening all around him, Bruno, the son of a Nazi general, begins by telling us the simple misfortunes of his life. His problems are common to any child: an annoying older sister, Gretel, and the loneliness he encounters after moving.

Meanwhile, the mass murder of thousands is occurring just outside his new home, an idea he cannot and will never comprehend. Bruno spends his time talking to a Jewish boy named Shmuel, who, because he lives in the concentration camp, wears the required gray striped pajamas. Bruno remains completely ignorant of the difference between Shmuel and himself. The two share the same birthday and become best friends, despite their very different backgrounds.

It was the narrator's voice of ignorance that drew me into this simply written, beautiful story, with an ending that both surprised and saddened me.

JesusandHisLawyers said...
today at 1:05 am:
This book is so over-whelmingly mediocre, especially compared to other Holocaust/genocide novels. Underdeveloped character, contrived and trite plot, childish and juvenile writing, and an over all dissapointing and underwhelming progression and resolution.

kimani236 said...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 9:25 am:
I really liked this book because it shows the life and struggle  of the victims of the holocaust and how a german child will go against his orders to be friendly to a young boy that is a jew. I think that Adolf Hitler got what he deserved and he is the only person in the world that I'm GLAD that is dead. I just wish that there were someone brave enough to stop him beacuse we could have 10 million more  human beings on Earth. If I was living in 1930 I would have tried to help thoses vic... (more »)

kimani236 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 9:27 am :
I really love the movie also

TheDinoWithMeds replied...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:43 am :
I just watched the movie today and it made me cry. It was a beautiful movie though. 

Joyce said...
Awesome book. Sad, yet heartwarming. I kind of knew what would happen at the end, but it was surprising anyway. I love how the book wonderfully expresses innocence in a time of war and hardships.

Glen said...
Mar. 20, 2009 at 7:37 am:
We just finished reading this book for English, and I must say, it was great. It was written from the perspective of Bruno, the 9 year old boy, so naturally it would have simple vocab, and a straight forward structure.

Samantha V. said...
Feb. 24, 2009 at 7:50 pm:
I love that article how its short and sweet yet beautifully written. I have read the book and it make me think about it for a long time.