Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

December 8, 2014
By TevaR BRONZE, Kamuela, Hawaii
TevaR BRONZE, Kamuela, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Have you watched the movie MockingJay Part One or read the WHOLE book? Well, have you? In this movie Katniss Everdeen “The Girl On Fire”, has destroyed and escaped the fighting arena, along with Finnick Odair. She is now a refugee in District 13, because the Capitol destroyed District 12. District 13 has survived and is now thriving after a horrible bombing from the Capitol. Katniss is the face of their rebellion, known as the Mockingjay, she is wanted by the Capitol to be killed. So, I think that the book is better because, it has more detail about what happens and is more exciting. To me, the book is more interesting, its filled with much more events and is pretty radical. Honestly, the movie was pretty “decent” but I think the director should have put all of the books events in the movie.

So for starters, the movie didn’t include the part when Katniss finds her prep team being tortured in a room in District 13. I believe that it was one of the most important scenes that should have been added to the movie. Another scene was when the Capitol tried to break through District 13’s defenses. They did this after Peeta tried to warn Katniss about the Capitol sending air ships to go and destroy whatever is left of 13. The other scene that I noticed was President Snow dropping all of those white roses after trying to break District 13’s defenses. One more scene that they put in the movie was when Katniss and the camera crew were at District 8 and the Capitol bombed the hospital. I think the director did this because he wanted to add a little spice to it, by putting different scenes so that the audience didn’t expect it coming. If you ask me I don’t think this was an improvement at all. I really think that they should have just left it the way the book was instead of changing. Instead of changing all of that I would have made everything thats in the book become a part of the movie. This is what the movie really needs because it lacks all of the detail that really should have been there.

My opinion is that the movie really needs more juice to it. Its pretty “okay” but it didn’t give me that spark to really enjoy it. I really like how most of the movie was based on the book but I really think it should have included all of the books details. This was a good experience to get to read the novel and then watch the movie to realize the differences but I think that the book was way better. My enjoyment came from all the action and detailed information that the book gave to me. In my mind I think that the readers, my peers, should do exactly what I am. Do your own reflection and writing on the differences on the two. I think that it would be good for people to express what they think about the movie. In my mind, this will help the director to produce an even better Mockingjay Part 2,3, and 4. This could be great for their numbers on and reviews about the movie, because don’t get me wrong, its a great movie but I just think that they could have made it better. Giving your own thoughts about the movie is good for the producers and that will hopefully spark something in their mind to produce an even better movie than this one. The director should be ask for some feedback on the movie because it’s pretty good  but I know that they can make it better along with the other sequential parts. But, my recommendation to my peers is that they should go and read the book, then go and watch the movie so they can tell the difference. If they decide the same that I did then so be it, but if not than, it will be a great argument. This will be a good argument because the book and the movie are somewhat alike but not totally, but we both might decide different ideas about how the director added some changes into the book than the movie. I think the book is better.