The Song Reader by Lisa Tucker | Teen Ink

The Song Reader by Lisa Tucker

By ruby.s BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
ruby.s BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

The Song Reader
By Lisa Tucker

"My sister Mary Beth was a song reader. Nobody else in the world can say that, as far as I know. And even after everything that happened, I still find myself wishing I could go back to when the music was like a spirit moving through our town, giving words to what we felt, connecting us all."
-Leeann Norris

Leeann lives with her older sister Mary Beth, who is trying to support the two of them after their mom died and their dad disappeared from their lives. She does this by song reading, a gift that helps her advise people based on the songs stuck in their head. However, when Mary Beth unveils a dark secret rooted deep in the songs of a client, no one wants to be associated with her anymore. She quits song reading and shuts out the world.

While dealing with this backlash from society, Leeann must learn how to keep both of their lives in tune. Along with this, she struggles with the looming threat of finishing high school and the mystery of her dad's disappearance. To make matters worse, the family of Leeann's boyfriend is the main source of Mary Beth's problems. As Mary Beth recovers, Leeann realizes their lives will never be the same, but she also realizes that change is okay.

Lisa Tucker writes with such elegance that makes you feel as if the words flow straight from the page to your mind. The empathy she puts into each word really helps you understand the hardships that Leeann travels through.

This book shows how one small event can change lives. It also displays the importance of family as several characters fight to put their lives back in order. Amid the hurtful actions of others, they learn that what makes a family can also break it apart.

This was an assignment for school where we had to imitate an article.