"The Great Gatsby" by Francis Key Scott Fitzgerald | Teen Ink

"The Great Gatsby" by Francis Key Scott Fitzgerald

October 28, 2014
By Patience27 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Patience27 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 

 "The Great Gatsby" the movie was based off the book "The Great Gatsby" which was written by Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald. Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was born September 24th,1896 in St. Paul Minnesota . He was an  intelligent child but did poorly in school, he went to college at Princeton but never got his degree so went into the army where he met the love of his life while working his stations. He wanted to marry her but her wedding was delayed until he proved his success to her. He wrote This Side in Paradise in 1920 which made him a "literary sensation" and proved his success to his lover named Zelda Sayre. However by becoming a celebrity he began living a reckless lifestyle throwing lavish parties and continuing to write to prove his success to Zelda. However by the Great Depression Zelda had a nervous breakdown and Fitzgerald became an alcoholic which hampered his writing. Fitzgerald was the most famous chronicler of 1920s America (“the Jazz Age”). Written in 1925, The Great Gatsby is one of the greatest literary documents of this period, in which the American economy soared, bringing unprecedented levels of prosperity to the nation.