Pretty Little Liars | Teen Ink

Pretty Little Liars

What happens when life takes a turn and is never the same again? Spencer Hasting, Aria Montgomery, Hanna Marin, and Emily Fields would know. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard may seem like a cliché novel for teen girls, but there is a huge twist. When the leader of the posse, Alison DiLaurentis, left and never came back, the rest of the clique, Spencer, Aria, Hanna, and Emily, were in for a change. Now, it is three years since Ali's disappearance, and all of the talk of Ali has seems to have ended, yet life just seems to keep getting worse for these girls, who have drifted apart throughout the years. The girls thought that their secrets had died with Ali, but then someone started haunting these four “pretty little liars” with blackmail. The blackmailer somehow knows all of their secrets, and is threatening to tell them to the world. The girls know that this can't happen, and must find a way to keep their secrets safe, while still dealing with plenty of other drama. The blackmailers' identity is unknown and they have only been signing their notes with “A.” This mystery will make you want to keep reading.

This is a very well-written book and it is unlike anything else I have ever read. This book may seem frightful, and I admit, it is, but once you start, you will have a hard time putting it down. Pretty Little Liars is a hard book to compare with another work, but I would recommend this book to reader that enjoyed The A-List series, the Private series, or The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, but are not afraid to read a frightening novel. Even I, being very easily scared, really enjoyed the book, so no need to worry.

No need to fret because Pretty Little Liars is not the last of it. There is a whole series, and they are just as addicting, if not, more so. Next in the series is Flawless, then Perfect which is followed by Unbelievable and the latest addition, Wicked.

I give Pretty Little Liars five out of five As. The only problem that I have with this series is that in later books, Shepard tends to recap events that have occurred earlier in the series. I feel that these are the only times that the stories get a tad boring. However, that does not change the fact that these books are great. Pretty Little Liars is a very distinguished, original book, as well as the rest of the series. They are sure to keep you wanting more.