Peeps and So Yesterday | Teen Ink

Peeps and So Yesterday

Scott Westerfeld is a skilled writer, I especially recommend his two books, Peeps and So Yesterday. These two books that are impossible to put down. They both are suspense filled, exciting, hilarious stories that will keep your mind occupied. These two novels are amazing. I recommend these two thrillers, Peeps and So Yesterday, to readers looking for a good book.

First, the tone of these two books are quite different. Peeps has a more creepy, sitting on the edge of your seat feeling. In contrast, So Yesterday seems more adventurous and has a lighter mood. They are both humorous. So if you like a laugh, I suggest you pick up one of these books. That's what I did, and now I a writing a review about how much I liked them.

The main characters in the books are very similar. Their names are Cal and Hunter, and they both have crazy girl friends who endanger their lives. Each works for a company that keeps vital information behind their backs, and because of this, their whole lives change. They have different situations though. Cal is dealing with deranged vampires, whereas Hunter is trying to rescue his kidnapped boss. Hunter's company is making a friendly business deal with the kidnappers, and Cal is being used as a pon. Both are deceived. The characters are alike, yet also different.

In both books the character was aware that he was telling a story. They talking about what happened ,not what is happening. Because of this, the author had plenty of opportunities to express the characters personalities and his own voice. For example, in the beginning of So Yesterday, Hunter was trying to explain why he is writing the story. In Peeps, Cal is writing factual chapters after every story chapter. This is Scott Westerfeld's way of incorporating his writer's voice.

Even though both Peeps and So Yesterday are good books, they might not relate to all readers. I would recommend Peeps to teenage boys and girls, preferably 12 and up. So Yesterday, is more for a younger audience. I think it would be a good book for kids 10 to 15. Anyone older than 15 years old would most likely think the plot was too far fetched. Scott Westerfeld is good at reaching different age groups and audiences with his different novels.

All in all, Peeps and So Yesterday are outstanding books. From the “cool” pyramids to vampires to secret organizations. These action-packed stories have it all. If you haven't already, you should go to the library, the store or a book fair and grab yourself one of these books. Maybe you could get both! After you get one or both of these books, I suggest you make popcorn, grab your favorite blanket, and get comfortable. It may be a long night.

LaLaLa said...
Peeps has a sequel called The Last Days. The Main characters Moz, Pearl, Zahler, Minerva, and Alana Ray join a band that came together because of the parasite and stay together to fight giant worms. Sounds dumb, but read it! It makes sense!

Mandy64 said...
on Jan. 8 2009 at 10:54 am
Thanx

HeATheR said...
on Dec. 23 2008 at 12:43 am
hi!!! good job you're top reveiw!