Pendragon Series: The Lost City of Faar | Teen Ink

Pendragon Series: The Lost City of Faar

December 17, 2008
By Anonymous

Splash.  Submerged in the water, Bobby kicked his way back to the surface.  As he paddled his way to the edge of the tunnel, a heap of cloth emerged in the light.  Urgh.  There never seems to be normal clothes anywhere anymore.  Not that there is such a thing called normal anymore.  Bobby entered a world very different from his own.  As Uncle Press bobbed next to him, they look around at the fruit covered arch of stone on the territory of Cloral.  Readers can discover this world in The Lost City of Faar, the second addition to the Pendragon series by D. J. MacHale.

Now on their second territory, Uncle Press and 14-year-old Bobby Pendragon venture the territory of Cloral with Cloral's Traveler, Spader.  As Travelers, Uncle Press, Bobby Pendragon, and Spader have an influential task of shaping the turning points of all ten territories to lead to a positive future.  Meanwhile, on Second Earth, Mark and Courtney, Bobby's friends, receive Bobby's journals about his adventures on Cloral through Mark's symbolic stone ring.  On the territory of Cloral, people live on water, though it was fabled that people once lived on land.  Spader's people live on floating habitats, large ship/land like machines where people can grow food and survive on.  Saint Dane, an enemy Traveler, has a plan to make the underwater habitat farms, grow poisonous foods.  In order to save Cloral, Bobby, Uncle Press, and Spader have to go on an adventurous expedition to find a lost city.

Pendragon: The Lost City of Faar kept me captivated from the second I flipped the cover.  I love how D.J. MacHale can keep the suspense going and how he writes such dynamic dialogue.  When Spader's habitat collided with his father's habitat, I could no longer detach myself from the text.  My mom and dad insisted that I take up one of my dad's science textbooks, instead of science fiction.  Especially when they talk about Traveler matters, I always want to know what Uncle Press, Bobby, and Spader have to say in discussions.  Their conversations fill me in on the corners of situations.  Often times, they explain what will happen in the near future. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a taste for adventure, humor, and suspense.