Cracked by K. M. Walton | Teen Ink

Cracked by K. M. Walton

August 18, 2014
By Justyn Fujimoto BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Justyn Fujimoto BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Cracked

Cracked by: K. M. Walton. K. M. Walton was a teacher for twelve years. She has a penchant for reading Entertainment Weekly from cover to cover. She lives in Pennsylvania with her wonderful husband and her two sons. The new and up and coming author K. M. Walton wrote her first book Cracked. This young adult fiction novel features two teenage boys, William “Bull” and Victor. Bull hates his life at home; he lives in a poor home with his drunken mom and his drunk and abusive grandfather. Victor has the best lifestyle you could ever ask for; but Victor doesn’t like his life at all, he feels lonely and frustrated all the time since his parents are never home and they aren’t happy he exists at all. The problem about all of this is that Bull is angry of what happens at his home so he takes it out on Victor; or in other words, bullies him. Most of the bullying happens at their school but Bull and Victor’s personal problems happen at each of their homes. Bull and Victor are roommates in the same psych ward and they have no choice but to get along or not. The author tries to illustrate the perspective of the bully and the victim. The themes of this novel are to not bully and also don’t run away from your problems because they are going to come back around and kick you in the butt. Out of 5 stars I would rate this book a 4.5. I would give this book this rating because to me the characters weren’t too realistic. I gave the novel 4.5 stars because although it wasn’t realistic it still had a good theme. Especially for the young adult readers because they’re so many bullying happening in the world today I think it is awesome to let people know what can happen if you bully someone and to take the time and understand that bullies bully because they hurt too.