The Program by Suzanne Young | Teen Ink

The Program by Suzanne Young

By GwenVSA4 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
GwenVSA4 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Have you ever considered killing yourself? The Program by Suzanne Young almost demands that you ask yourself this question. The book takes place in a futuristic world where suicide has because an epidemic mostly among teenagers. The only solution to this... The Program. If adults have the ability to report any kids they think are at risk of killing themselves to The Program. At that point handlers come and forcibly bring those people into the facility.
When it comes to The Program almost all people are very opinionated. This shows many similarities to current day situations. Adults think that it is one of the best things in the world due to there 100% success rate and the fact that there kids are coming home alive. However, kids and teenagers think that The Program strips people of their individuality as well as their personality considering The Program removes your most traumatic and sometimes extremely important memories.
Sloane Barstow lives in Oregon with her mom and dad. She has had numerous people very close to her taken to The Program and many people in her life including her brother have committed suicide. She faces many problems in her life and no matter what she keeps fighting.
Young does an amazing job at pulling open the curtain to show that not all stories, situations, and lives end happily. Sometimes you may try and fight so hard for something but in the end you don’t get it. The things you want most in life are not just handed over or given out for free. You have to earn them. You have to want them. You need to need them.
Almost everyone is able to make connections with the book mainly to to the intake of the non-fairytale like ending and simple problems like not being able to swim.
The Program is an amazing book that I highly recommend. It leaves its readers ‘dying’ for more. Well, now the more is here. The thrill pact sequel to The Program, The Treatment, came out on April 29, 2014.
Finally, if something is meant to be, it will be because, “Some things are better left in the past. And the true things are destined to repeat themselves.” -The Program; Suzanne Young