The Outsiders | Teen Ink

The Outsiders

December 5, 2008
By Anonymous

"You get tough like me and you don't get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothin' can touch you..." In The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, Ponyboy, a smart young boy, has two brothers: Darry, who is the oldest, and Sodapop, who is Ponyboy's role model. Both of the brothers had to drop out of school to help raise the family. They join a gang called the Greaser's, who live in the rough part of town and have a lot of difficult times. Their enemy is the “Soc's”, who are high class kids who are wealthy and smart. Through out the book there is a lot of tension between both groups.
Ponyboy has many problems in the book. In the beginning, Ponyboy and Darry have a huge fight, and he thinks that Darry doesn't love him, but that's not true. I can relate to that too. Sometimes it seems like my sister doesn't love me, but I know she does. He also seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you read more, you will find out why he went running from the police.
This was a very suspenseful and visual book. I thought the author set up The Outsiders very well. What I liked best was the description of the character. Each character had there own characteristic. And remember, friends are there forever.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.