A Northern Light | Teen Ink

A Northern Light

December 5, 2008
By Anonymous

Mattie is a 16 year old girl living in the 1900s.
She is kind and very smart, her dream is to go to college and become a great writer.
Mattie keeps a journal with new words she learns every day.
Mattie really wants to go to collegez, so Mattie gets a job at the Glenmore hotel.
Mattie meets a customer at the Glenmore hotel her name is grace, grace asked Mattie to burn a bundle of letters, and Mattie forgets to burn the letters. Later that day grace was found in the lake dead.
Mattie has to make a many decisions through out the story, she does not make the decisions all by her self she gets some help from her friends and teacher Miss Willcox.
Miss Willcox has a big influence on Mattie; she helps her with her dream of going to college.
Weaver is Mattie's best friend, they are so much alike.
Weaver is the first black child born free.
Weaver also wants to go to college; his mother has been saving money for his college tuition.

A Northern Light has its ups and downs.
The thing I hated most was it got confusing and they dragged on about Mattie's life to much.
One thing I loved was there was always something going on always something new and interesting.