A Northern Light | Teen Ink

A Northern Light

Mattie is a 16 year old girl living in the 1900s.
She is kind and very smart, her dream is to go to college and become a great writer.
Mattie keeps a journal with new words she learns every day.
Mattie really wants to go to collegez, so Mattie gets a job at the Glenmore hotel.
Mattie meets a customer at the Glenmore hotel her name is grace, grace asked Mattie to burn a bundle of letters, and Mattie forgets to burn the letters. Later that day grace was found in the lake dead.
Mattie has to make a many decisions through out the story, she does not make the decisions all by her self she gets some help from her friends and teacher Miss Willcox.
Miss Willcox has a big influence on Mattie; she helps her with her dream of going to college.
Weaver is Mattie's best friend, they are so much alike.
Weaver is the first black child born free.
Weaver also wants to go to college; his mother has been saving money for his college tuition.

A Northern Light has its ups and downs.
The thing I hated most was it got confusing and they dragged on about Mattie's life to much.
One thing I loved was there was always something going on always something new and interesting.

ms.s said...
on Dec. 15 2008 at 10:57 pm
this was a good book review i loved it so interesting so strong it was very good. i hated this book as well

mrs. leading said...
on Dec. 12 2008 at 9:44 pm
i have seen her do better. this was well done, but could be more informative. Keep up the good work. You will bea good writer someday soon.

MonkeySnot said...
on Dec. 12 2008 at 1:19 pm
Malina,

I don't think you are bad at writing and I think you are courageous for sharing. You've done a good job giving us lots of information about the book. Further your writing style seemed to convey the confusion you experienced while reading this book. As for thinking you are "bad at writing", I'd like you to consider changing that status to a "developing writer". Hey your only in the 8th grade. I don't expect novel quality from you until the 9th grade. Being a developing writer allows you learn from each piece you write with the consequence of getting better. Eventually we can move you to a "developed writer". The book review lacked flow, as the facts jumped around like a flea. Lack of flow makes it hard for the reader to follow what's going on. I suggest writing down all the major themes/ideas in your writing first and then organize them in a layout that flows well. Once you have a layout, you'll be amazed how some things just write themselves. From there use your layout to guide your writing and fill in with smaller bits of info related to each theme/idea.

Lastly, I'd be honored to help out with your development. So if you have a question, or need somebody to read your drafts, or a proof reader, or even help creating a layout (which really doesn't take long) I am there for you. But don't call me the night before, because I only support my own procrastination! Take care and don't forget about the things you do well already.

Ehren

on Dec. 11 2008 at 12:33 am
This is a good response you have the sequence of events laid out nicely. Next time try having the sentences flow into one another to create a sense of fluidity with your thoughts. Keep up the great work. Tory